Comments are Off
Ingredients/ serves 6
- 1 kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2½ cups beef stock
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- steamed rice, Indian breads or pappadums
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5 cm-3 cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 about tbsp oil, and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add onion and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in curry powder and stir until the onion is coated. Gradually pour in stock, stirring well. Add the coconut milk and brown sugar, stirring until mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered.
- Serve with steamed rice, Indian breads or pappadums.
- Don’t rush the initial stage of browning the meat. This will make your casserole rich in colour and flavour. Brown the meat in small batches over a medium-high heat.
- Simmer the casserole gently and taste it to see if it’s ready. Stir occasionally and adjust the meat as it cooks if needed. When it’s done the meat should be tender enough to fall apart easily with a fork.
Source Reference: www. beefandlamb. com. au