- 800 g beef fillet, trussed
- ¼ cup wood shavings (suitable for smoking)
- 1 tbsp green tea leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp hot English mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved and sliced on the diagonal
- 4 small radish, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
1.Combine ingredients for marinade. Place 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl and set aside. Brush the rest of the marinade over the beef fillet. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes.
2.Place a piece of foil in the base of a wok. Place wood shavings and tea leaves on the foil and place over high heat. Once the mixture starts to smoke, place beef fillet on a circular rack inside wok and cover with wok lid. Smoke for 20 minutes over medium heat.
3.Brush beef with oil and sear in a hot pan until browned on all sides, then place on a baking paper lined oven tray and cook in oven at 200C fan forced for 20 minutes for rare, 25 minutes for medium rare. Rest for 10 minutes, then slice into thick slices and cut off string.
4.Serve with reserved marinade whisked with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle beef with spring onions.
5.For salad, whisk vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a large bowl and add cucumber, radish and chilli. Toss to combine and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Source Reference: www.beefandlamb.com.au